Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Normal
Why can't I be like every other mom and love to talk on the telephone and ask a zillion questions so that I always know what is going on with my own family? I think that I know that my kids are fine because they told me so the last time that we spoke. They looked okay. They sounded okay. But then my mom or a friend will ask me some question that seems reasonable enough and I realize that I don't know very much at all actually. The curious (normal?) ones always act stunned that I have so many "I don't knows" to their rapid fire questions about anything. About everything. This has made me ask myself : Why don't I ask questions about things? Do I not want to know if things are not quite perfect or is it because I think I would be told what I need to know? I just don't know. There I go again. After thinking about it, I guess because I grew up in a pastor's home where there were so many secrets being kept about members of the congregations that I learned not to ask or tell. That must have carried throughout my life and nobody ever said to me that I could/should ask and tell now. Maybe this blog will help me be more normal. But only if you guys play along.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't know where along the road it happened, but one of my least favorite things is to hear someone ask questions that they don't really need the answers to. That's what I hate about other mothers, actually. Listening to other people ask these questions of others, I usually say to them (while they are talking to the other person), "Why do you care? Why do you need to know that?" Am I just a bitter old man? I don't know. I guess I just don't talk about a lot of stuff anymore--didn't want to for so many years--and now I only like to have conversations that matter (and yes, joking about nothing is something that matters to me). I don't ask details of people because I figure they have a story to tell and it isn't my job to tell it for them. Hopefully this electronic format of storytelling will help us all know each other a bit more.
ReplyDelete